5 Smoldering Questions On the Pittsburgh Steelers, Week 5
The Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the San Diego Chargers 24-17 and in the process not only improved their record to 3-2, but also bagged their 1st West Coast Win in a decade. But Mike Tomlin refused to allow anyone to cool the champagne as this week brings Pittsburgh West, aka the Arizona Cardinals and Bruce Arians to town.
But before Arians can make his hopefully not so triumphant return to Pittsburgh, Steelers Nation must first solve the riddle behind these 5 Smoldering Questions on the Steelers.
1. When a 50 year old Argentine who has never set foot in the United States declares a Steelers victory worthy of being chronicled by NFL Films legendary John Facenda, you know a game is iconic. After a similar titanic struggle in mid-1995 Bill Cowher declared “Games like this don’t build character, they display it.”
Do you think the Steelers’ ability to pull out the win vs. San Diego built or displayed character?
2. As everyone knows, the NFL time keeper goofed at the end of the Steelers-Chargers game, costing the Steelers precious seconds. One fan reacted this way:
However, for Mike Tomlin it was a complete non-issue. The victory not withstanding, do you think someone on the Steelers staff should have been more attentive to the game clock?
3. Mike Vick has taken his time acclimating to the Steelers offense. Yet even when he’s played well, he doesn’t seem to be able to connect with Antonio Brown, although hooking up with Darrius Heyward-Bey doesn’t appear to be a problem. What’s going in here folks?
4. Mike Tomlin once derided the Wildcat as “the flavor of the week,” yet the Steelers ran 5 plays in the Wildcat vs. the Chargers. Are you wild about the Wildcat’s appearance in Pittsburgh?
5. The question must be asked. After the 2011 season Art Rooney II shocked Steelers Nation by overruling Mike Tomlin in essentially firing Bruce Arians. Since then, Arians has done extremely well, first as interim head coach of the Colts and now as coach at Pittsburgh West.
With the benefit of perfect 20/20 hindsight, do you think that Art Rooney II made the right decision?