5 Smoldering Questions: The Post-Ravens Pre-Dallas Edition
by Hombre de Acero
The Steelers AFC North showdown in Baltimore did not go as we’d hoped, leaving Ben Roethlisberger on the outside looking in when playing in Charm City since 2010.
The loss drops the Steelers 4-4, and if social media is a guide, much of Steelers Nation has the Black and Gold written off as the worst 4-4 team in NFL history.
This week brings the 7-1 Dallas Cowboys to Heinz Field, but before we can get to that, this corner of Steelers Nation must grapple with these 5 Smoldering Questions.
1. Steelers Nation saw two Ben Roethlisbergers play on Sunday. One channeled his inner Mark Malone for three and a half quarters, and another who looked like Ben. Was there any substance to that 4th quarter “surge” or was it merely “Garbage Time Glory?”
2. Chris Boswell’s botched on-side kick caused an uproar in Steelers Nation. Yet, Boswell had pulled off a simpler “side step on sides” kick in college. Was the Boswell Side Step on-side kick a case of a poor play call or of botched execution?
3. Speaking of Chis Boswell, our own Rebecca Rollett has been looking into the psychology of kickers quite intently. We’ve now seen Boswell miss critical kicks in one game, and mess up a surprise on-sides kick in another. Is anyone worried about Boswell’s confidence?
4. Jim Wexell has suggested that one of the reasons why Ben Roethlisberger’s first games back from injuries go so badly is that he tries to come back too soon. Anyone wish to second guess Mike Tomlin’s decision to go with Number 7?
And a bonus quarterback question:
5. With a little bit of distance from the game, two statistics stand out as we look at the Landry Jones start against New England: 13 and 11.
13 points is the average margin of the Steelers losses to New England with Ben Roethlisberger starting. 11 points was the margin with Landry Jones under center.
Does that tell you anything, or is it just a factoid?