Photo via Steelers.com Tomlin is, apparently, not impressed by my questions…
I am going to be stealing questions from wherever I can find them this week, because it doesn’t seem appropriate to try very hard, the week of the Pro Bowl. Feel free to leave equally lame answers…
1. Jim Wexell’s latest column for Steel City Insider has the following subtitle: “Do the Steelers need a disciplinarian? Not as much as they need an inside linebacker.” He makes the point that it isn’t unusual for star players to get special treatment. He makes many other interesting points, too, so read it if you can get past the paywall. In the meantime, agree or disagree?
2. Wexell also noted this tweet by one of the writers of Football Outsiders, as follows:
Most games in a season with no more than 10 penalty yards (including playoffs) since 2007
1. 2017 Patriots – 5 (all since Week 10)
2. 2008 Patriots – 4
3. 9 teams with 3
— Scott Kacsmar (@FO_ScottKacsmar) January 22, 2018
Wexell doesn’t buy into a conspiracy theory, more that there is an unconscious bias on the part of the refs, assuming that the Pats are doing things correctly. Your take?
Cold Old Steelers Fan helpfully wrote most of the rest of this column. So thanks, COSF, and here goes:
3. This is a great one – really more appropriate for Full Smoulder: “How will the Ben/Fitchner era look? Will Ben be calling all the plays or will Fitchner? Will there be conflict?”
4. And next: “Will Tomlin continue with the role of defensive play calling? Is that a good idea?” Interesting question, especially in light of the Haley hire in Cleveland apparently signalling the end of the Hue Jackson offensive play-calling era there.
Of course, it assumes a level of involvement in the defense that I’m not sure is quite correct. So bonus sub-question—how much do you think Tomlin was involved in the actual defensive play-calling this past season?
And finally, I’ll contribute:
5. If you could change one coaching decision (can be an in-game decision, or an overall philosophy decision), what would it be, and how would you expect it to affect the final outcome?