5 Smoldering Questions On the Pittsburgh Steelers, Week 1
by Hombre de Acero
I’m thrilled to announce the debut of this series. Enjoy, and don’t forget to comment. It’s an open-internet test, and the links just might help, but you must show your work, as Hombre notes below…
Week 1 of the NFL’s 2015 season is now in the history books, leaving half of the NFL rejoicing and the other half in despair. Pittsburgh found itself on the wrong side of the dividing line, so not only was the Steelers loss to the Patriots a disappointment, it leaves Steeler Nation struggling with 5 Smoldering Questions*:
1. Mike Tomlin went 4-0 in season openers in his first four years, but since Super Bowl XLV his teams have gone 1-4 in the first game of the season. In their own way, each of the season openers established an important storyline for the season to come. What do you think we learned in the Steelers loss to the Patriots?
2. The performance reviews of the Steelers defense in general and its secondary in particular were scathing following the Patriots game. While giving up 28 points is never a positive, the last time the Steelers traveled to New England, the Patriots scored 28 points in the 4th quarter alone. Are you ready to accept that this loss, however disappointing, marks progress since the Steelers started 2-6 in the 2013 season?
3. As everyone knows, Martavis Bryant is serving a suspension for substance abuse. Fortunately the words “Steelers” and “Substance abuse” have not collocated** much recently. However, the early 1990’s were different, as drugs had a role in derailing the careers of Tim Worley, Bam Morris and, to an extent, Eric Green. If you could get 5 minutes alone with Martavis Bryant, what would you say to him?
4. Steelers blogger Paul Dawkins had an interesting take on HeadsetGate:
— Draft Steel (@draftsteelcom) September 11, 2015
What do you think of this latest suspicious incident involving the Patriots, and do you think the Steelers were right to accept the NFL’s conclusion that it was unintentional?***
5. Based on what you saw vs. the Patriots, what is the one change you would make going into the 49ers game?
That’s it folks. As this is the first time for this incarnation of the series let’s remember a few ground rules: You must show work to get full credit, but looking at your neighbor’s paper is encouraged if not required. Please follow all other house rules, and remember to use a No. 2 dark pencil.
Have at it!
*I’m wondering if we should go with the British spelling. “Smouldering” seems so much more, well, smouldery…
**Nice word, Hombre. It isn’t often I have to look something up…
***You might want to check out the link provided by commenter “Peter” in an earlier post—it’s annoying but funny…