by Hombre de Acero
The 2016 NFL Draft is here and the Steelers are poised to make their pick at slot number 25. There will be a lot of sound and fury to pass before Roger Goodell names the Steelers pick, and in the meantime, this corner of Steelers Nation must wrestle with these 5 Smoldering Questions on the Steelers draft.
1. The Pittsburgh Steelers top draft needs this year are cornerback, safety and defensive tackle/nose tackle. It’s the Steelers turn to pick. They have a player at each position with an equal grade. Which position gets the pick?
2. If outwards signs are anything to go by, and they may not be, the Steelers don’t seem particularly concerned about their running back depth chart going into the draft. But given that the Steelers have now started into three straight post-season contests having to start their 4th string running back, do you agree with their outward sentiments?
Questions 3 and 4 come with required reading, be forewarned.
3. Last spring, Jim Reineking of NFL.com rated the five worst NFL draft classes of the last 25 years. In these drafts, you can see how the Steelers did drafting from the worst drafts here. Given that the drafts span the Cowher-Donahoe, Cowher-Colbert, and Tomlin-Colbert eras, what does the Steelers performance in these supposedly “bad drafts” say to you?
4. Not surprisingly, Reineking also ranked the best draft classes of the last 25 years. The Steelers’ performance in these drafts is interesting, but they arguably did better in the previous groups. How do you explain the difference?
5. One of the more interesting questions for the Steelers heading into the 2016 NFL draft is how the team will address or not address the outside linebacker position. Have you seen enough from Jarvis Jones or do you think that outside linebacker should be a priority?
That’s it. Don’t forget to show your work…