5 Smoldering Questions On the Pittsburgh Steelers, Week 10
by Hombre de Acero
Week 10 saw Ben Roethlisberger step out of the bullpen to lead the Steelers to a 30-9 victory over the Browns as they head into the bye week. But before Steelers Nation can take its rest, we must first resolve these 5 Smoldering Questions on the Steelers.
1. Ten games into the season, which Steelers player has been the most pleasant surprise for you, and which has been the biggest disappointment? Explain your choices.
2. Two weeks ago the Oakland Raiders brought one of the NFL’s best run defenses into Heinz Field and DeAngelo Williams shredded them for 170 yards. Last week the Browns brought one of the worst rushing defenses into Pittsburgh and Williams was held to negative yardage for much of the game. What’s going on here folks?
3. Mary Lou Retton gave Antonio Brown a perfect 10 for his end zone somersault. Mike Tomlin approved of it. Yet, back in 2013 when Le’Veon Bell and Emmanuel Sanders put on similar end zone celebrations Mike Tomlin put a stop to it. Is Mike Tomlin erring in changing his tone? Defend your answer.
4. Neal Coolong of USA Today’s Steelers Wire, a well known writer to most on this site, has highlighted Jarvis Jones’ hit on Andrew Hawkins. The Browns are crying foul, claiming it’s an illegal hit. You can visit his site and see it for yourself.
Do you think Jarvis Jones should be fined by the NFL for an illegal hit?
5. In this column’s precursor, BTSC’s 5 Burning Questions on the Steelers, we had an annual question we posed to the community going into the bye week.
It was set up like this: In February of 2000 I met up Todd and Laura, two friends from Baltimore’s legendary Purple Goose Saloon, then home of the Pittsburgh Steelers Fan Club of Maryland. Todd announced to me that they were going to Paris in the fall. My deadpan reaction was, “So, you gonna go during the bye week….” His future wife paused, and then did a double take and incredously remarked, “I just now realized what you were asking. I can’t believe you!”
Hence, came the question, have you ever scheduled an important life or family event around the Steelers bye week?
The best answer we got was from “Frank” who candidly admitted:
Waited for a bye week to kick my girlfriend out once. Sundays were the only day we were both home for extended periods., and I didn’t want to deal with it during a game. I know, i know..I’m horrible, but that was a long time coming. She was a very stressful person to be around at that time. I also needed another check to buy a new TV, we used hers when mine broke.
For four years running we’ve sought and failed to find someone who could top that. Can you either top that with a story of your own or, if not, perhaps with a story of someone you know?
That’s it, folks. Sharpen your pencils. Make sure to show your work. Reviewing your neighbor’s paper is, as always, strongly encouraged. After that, enjoy the bye week, but be sure to come back next week rested, tanned and ready to go as we’ll have five more Smoldering Questions as the Steelers prepare to head into Seattle.